April 8, 2010

Kids Get A Sneak Peek at the Percussion Instruments

I went with music teacher Davor Tetkovsky to buy some of the instruments in Skopje, the capitol of Macedonia. Both of us were very excited so we decided to set up the new Yamaha drum kit, tune the guitars, store the various percussion instruments and melodicas, and have a mini-jam session. At this point it was around 7:30 PM, so we left to return the next day.

When Jessica and I went to the school the next day and opened the door to the music room, we saw Davor giving some of the students a demo of the drum kit. I could tell the kids wanted to participate so I ransacked the storage cabinet and busted out the maracas, agogo bell, and tambourines. Although we were planning on having a 'grand opening' of sorts when all the instruments arrived (some are on back-order), I couldn't help myself. There was no way I was going to let their enthusiasm and desire to play music go unfulfilled. Like the big kid I am, I ran around the room giving out high fives and encouragement to engage in the noise making.

No comments:

Post a Comment